Hairdresser and Barbers Registrations

Licence summary

If you operate as a hairdresser or barber in Northern Ireland, you must be registered with your local district council.
Derry City Council has made bye-laws relating to the following:

  • inspecting premises
  • ensuring the premises are sufficiently clean, maintained, lit and ventilated
  • detailing precautions to be made in relation to protecting against contamination or infection

Authorised officers of the district council will have the power to enter and inspect premises.

Eligibility Criteria

No provision in legislation

Regulation Summary

Application Evaluation Process

Application to register your premises is free of charge.

Premises must also be registered for the purposes of Health and Safety legislation - please contact the Environmental Health Department for further information.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that that all equipment and premises to be used in such activities are inspected and found to be suitable and hygienic before you can begin trading to prevent the transfer of, or contamination from, blood borne, and other, diseases.

If you have not heard from the Council within a reasonable period, please contact us.
Environmental Health Department on (028) 71365151 or e-mail [email protected]

Apply online

Apply to run a hairdressers
Tell us about a change to your existing hairdressers

Forms to Download, print and post

Application to register a business as a Hairdresser/ Barber

Contact Details

Telephone: (028) 71365151
Fax: (028) 71266009
E-mail: [email protected]
Environmental Health Department
Council Offices
98 Strand Rd
BT48 7NN


For information on how to access the register of Hairdressing premises in the Borough 

Failed Application Redress

You are advised to take up any issue with Derry City Council first.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Derry City Council in the first instance.

If a licence holder is convicted of an offence in a Magistrates court and the court cancel the registration, the licence holder may appeal against the cancellation to the court they were convicted in.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

Any complaints on how a registered premises is operated should be made directly to the Environmental Health Department.

Trade Associations