EU Services Directive


The EU Services Directive came into force on 28th December 2009. This Directive allows you to apply and pay online for a variety of licences and permits. The EU Services Directive was implemented into UK law by the Provision of Services Regulations 2009.

The Directive aims to break down barriers to cross border trade in services between EU countries. It makes it easier for service providers, particularly small and medium sized enterprises, to offer their services to customers in other EU countries, whether established elsewhere in the EU or providing services remotely from the UK. To find out about the EU Services Directive across Europe visit the EUGO Portal.

If you wish to apply for a licence or permit from Derry City Council or find out more about the licences and permits we regulate please use the links below.



The fees for each of the applications/permits above have in most cases been prescribed by, or calculated in accordance with, relevant legislation. Therefore, in most instances a refund may not be payable. Applicants are advised to carefully read any instructions or guidance given about the payment of fees for each application they intend to make to see if a refund is payable. If you make an application online which you subsequently withdraw or cancel the application fee may not be refunded. However, the council retains the right to review each case on an individual basis.


Payment of the applicable application fee can be found on the relevant licensing service page ( see links above).


For anyone interested in starting up a business in the Derry City Council area you will find useful information and links on our Economic Development page.

You can also obtain free advice and support on starting up and running a business in the UK on the Business Link web site.


If you have a complaint about our online services facility you can contact us by telephone, fax, email, in writing or online.

•    Make a complaint about our service


Any application for a licence, registration or approval must be made by the person legally responsible for the business.
If an application is completed on behalf of a partnership, they must be a partner in the said partnership. If it is completed on behalf of a company, they must be the company secretary, a director of the company or an officer of the company specifically authorised to make this application.
The information provided in any online application form must be truthful, accurate and complete.

An application may be rejected if it is incomplete, misleading or untruthful and any accompanying fee may not be refunded.


Applicants may be required to provide the original of any scanned or emailed documents which have been attached to an application for the purposes of supporting it.
However, a request for original documentation shall only be made where sight of the original document is deemed essential by the council. Failure to provide the original documents when requested will result in the application being rejected and any accompanying fee may not be refunded.

Applicants for licences or permits in respect of premises, e.g an entertainments licence or amusement permit, should note that all non-residential premises must have a Fire Risk Assessment carried out.  This risk assessment must be regularly reviewed and it must be updated if there is any alteration to the construction or layout of the premises.  The Fire and Rescue Service will carry out an audit of the risk assessment and it must be available to them for inspection along with certificates for maintenance of electrical equipment, emergency lighting, fire detection and alarm system, gas equipment and firefighting equipment.
For advice on fire safety contact the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service at -

10 Crescent Link
BT47 5FR

Tel.: 028 7131 1162
Fax: 028 7134 1926

E-mail: [email protected]
or visit their web site at 

Guidance on carrying out a Fire Risk Assessment is available at

Access the Guidance Documents for Small and Medium Places of Assembly (60 – 300 people capacity) and Large Places of Assembly (over 300 capacity) via the ‘Communities and Local Government’ tab on the web page.


The council is subject to the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act 2002. More information on how this may affect you can be found here