Sunday Trading

Licence summary

If you run a large shop (eg one which has more than 280 square metres retail floor space), you can only open for trade on Sundays between 1pm and 6pm.

However, if you run a large shop that is situated in a holiday resort you may give notice to the district council for that area specifying up to 18 Sundays in a year where your shop will be exempt from that rule.

This exemption only applies to Sundays (other than Easter Sunday) that fall between 1 March and 30 September in any calendar year.

Eligibility Criteria

The council must have first designated an area/s as a Holiday Resort.

Only those shops currently classified as large shops (floor space over 280m2) may avail of this exemption. (small shops are already exempt from Sunday closing hours)

The entire Derry City Council area has been designated as a holiday resort.

Regulation Summary

Sunday Trading legislation

Application Evaluation Process

No provision in legislation.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from Derry City Council within 14 days of the submission of a completed application.

Apply online

Notification of Sunday Trading

Forms to Download, print and post

Download Sunday Trading application form

Contact Details

Telephone: 028 71365151
Fax: 028 71266009
E-mail: [email protected]
Environmental Health Department
Derry City Council
98 Strand Road

Public register

 Every district council shall keep a register of shops in its district in respect of which a notice under this legislation has effect. A public register is available in the Environmental Health Department, Derry City Council, 98 Strand Road, Derry, telephone  02871365151, email [email protected]

Failed Application Redress

You are advised to take up any issue with Derry City Council in the first instance using the details given above.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Derry City Council in the first instance using the details given above.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the operator by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Advice Guide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

Any complaints on how a premises is operated, or if they are operating outside of permitted hours, should be made directly to the Environmental Health Department.

Trade Associations